Lusters are varnish-like preparations. When fired on glass, porcelain, enamel, tiles or earthenware they produce a thin, intensively colored result.
The liquid solutions are ready to use. Keep away from light and heat, store in a cool, dry place (refrigerator recommended). Shake before use.
Work on clean and dry surfaces that are free of fingerprints.
METAL PREPARATIONS (GOLD / PLATINUM)
Available in glossy or matt formulations. Apply with either a brush or a pen. Brushes and pens should be cleaned with turpentine before using them. If the gold becomes too thick, add a few drops of thinner 174. Use different brushes for the gold and the platinum. Brushes must be cleaned with thinner 174.
Metal preparations are opaque and non-resistant after firing.
Lusters can be used with either thinner 174 or M-350 medium. Apply with synthetic brushes, airbrush, sponge, paper-creasing technique or by immersion.
The colors are intermixable and can be set over each other (careful not to over-mix the lusters to keep vivid colors).
The application of luster colors is best on faience (earthenware) and porcelain.
Some luster colors do not withstand a temperature above 800°C. If luster colors are applied on already-fired pigments do not exceed 600°C (1112°C) as colors may disappear.
Lusters are true transparent and non-resistant after firing.
Metal preparations and lusters must be completely dry before firing. Therefore, fire slowly at the beginning and hold briefly at 350°C (662°C) to allow the vapors to evaporate before closing the kiln and bringing to the firing temperature.
- Glass: 550-580°C (1022-1076°F)
- Faience (earthenware): 700-730°C (1292-1346°F)
- Porcelain: 780-800°C (1436-1472°F)
Some luster colors cannot withstand a temperature above 800°C (1472°F). Lusters applied over already fired pigments should not exceed 600°C (1112°F) as they may fade completely.
Gold and platinum applied on white porcelain are fired at 820°C (1508°F). If applied on pigments or reliefs, fire 650-750°C (1202-1382°F), at higher temperatures they crack or blacken.
Download this guide in your language
- Lusters en edelmetaalpreparaten voor glas, faience (plateelwerk) en porselein
- Lusters and Precious Metal Preparation for Glass, Faience (Earthenware) Porcelains
- Preparaciones de lustres y metales preciosos para vidrio, fayenza (alfarería) y porcelana
- Lustry i preparaty z metali szlachetnych do szkła, fajansów i porcelany
- Lustres et préparations de métaux précieux pour verre, faïence (terre cuite) & porcelaine
- Vorbereitung von Glanzton und Edelmetallpräparaten für Glas, Fayencen (Steingut) und Porzellan